
I built this new bicycle this weekend. Well really just on Friday night. 4 hours, almost none of the right tools. All done, rode it all weekend in the rain. It's really swell. It was great to get away from the computer, away from the pad, away from books and life in the hypothetical and get out and make something. I was reading an article in this months Monocle about architects who go to this "camp" in Nova Scotia for 2 weeks and design and build structures, they get to go out of the office (or classroom) and put into practice the things that they've spent countless nights drawing up. That sounds great.
I have been thinking lately about that whole idea and how it relates back to me. This idea of the hypothetical vs. reality. I have spent the past 4 years(ish) learning almost entirely in the hypothetical. In relation to the work of the gospel and the Lord I wonder how my heap of hypothetical knowledge (and my faith) should manifest itself. I am excited about the idea of the intentional community that Tim and Rachel and I have talked about. That seems like a potentially powerful manifestation of our collective faith. That seems like it could become a reality.
Beyond that I wonder in what other ways my faith will grow into action, how my convictions will take life, how my belief will become believed (not just thought, but believed into action, seen to be true through my life). I am entertaining different ideas of what my life should/could look like over the next year. Coupled with that is the question and discussion not only of what to do right now, but what I want to be doing in the future and how to take steps to make that happen. All of these questions come in the midst of classes, life changes, preparations to move, wrapping up an existing life.
When you work on a bicycle originally coined in the image of champions for 4 hours you are able to get alot of thinking done.
2 comments:
Very cool emblem - what kind of bike was it? Is this a fixed gear?
P.S. It was fun to hear you on the radio again.
it's an old Falcon (English brand) and yes it is a fixed gear, currently brakeless (though I will soon be remedying that)
Post a Comment